MDM Deals 2.3, “Bundle of Joy”
Any day now, my wife will give birth to our third son and I’ve been hard at work getting the rest of this update finished before our little bundle of joy arrives. After lots of effort, it’s here, featuring support for iPadOS, a better Reddit, refinements, movie improvements, 7 new channels to follow, and new ways to support MDM Deals!
Initial support for iPadOS!
Apple separated iPadOS from iOS this summer, and MDM Deals now supports this, separating iOS items from iPadOS items. Here’s what you’ll see new:
- Support for iPadOS channels/filters
- MDM Deals on Twitter now uses hashtag #iPadOSDeals for items that run only on iPad; you can mute that filter if you don’t have an iPad
- There’s a new iPadOS channel on Apple News, Pinterest, Flipboard, Reddit
- The MDM Deals alternative subreddit now has iPadOS flair for filtering!
- New RSS options!
- iOS & iPadOS RSS feed – This includes all items that can run on iOS OR iPadOS. This is the RSS feed to use if you have an iPhone & iPad
- iPadOS RSS feed – This will subscribe you to all apps that run on iPadOS, including universal iOS apps. This is the RSS feed to use if you only have an iPad and what to see all apps that can run on it.
- iPadOS exclusive RSS feed – this will subscribe you to apps that ONLy run on iPadOS (excludes “universal” iOS apps). This is an RSS feed to use if you only care about apps that only run on iPad
Note: Apple’s change means that following an iOS channel will no longer include iPad-exclusive apps that do not run on iPhone. I’m working on creating new options so you can get deals all in one place if you own an iPhone and iPad, but it’s pretty complex to do that. In the meantime, the “all deal” options will always include both!
I dug into the data on movies and found out that none of you buy movies when they’re $9.99 per film. As a result, I will publish deals when the price per film is less than $9.99, unless it’s a movie that never goes on sale or a really fantastic film. You should see fewer movies going forward–but what you see should interest you more.
Also, there’s a new RSS feed if all you care about is movie bundles. Subscribe to the Movie Bundle only RSS feed here.
A better Reddit
The largest community of fans are over on Reddit, so I’ve worked hard to make it a better experience. Here’s the improvements you’ll see!
- Everything should look and read better, with the addition of an invisible ASCII character that will prevent the sentences from being all smooshed together.
- r/moviedeals now has some gorgeous banner artwork
- Find exactly the subreddit for you with a new Reddit page that shows all the options
- Each subreddit now has better links to finding other subs, supporting MDM Deals, and more
- r/MDMDeals_alt – All the deals, but with flair so you can filter exactly what you want. An alternative view of r/MDMDeals
- Subs that filter by OS type:
- r/iOSdeals – All deals for iOS, both apps and games (excludes Mac, iPadOS, movies)
- r/MacOSDeals – All deals for the Mac & macOS (excludes movies, iOS, iPadOS)
- r/iPadOSDeals – All deals for iPad, including iPad-exclusive and iOS-universal app
- r/iOSandiPadOSDeals – All deals for iPhone & iPad (excludes Mac, movies)
- Subs that filter deals by kind of deal:
- r/AppDeals – Just apps for iOS, iPadOS, and macOS (excludes games & movies)
- r/iOSappdeals – Just apps for iOS (excludes Mac, games, & movies)
- r/iosgamedeals – Just games for iOS (excludes apps, Mac, movies)
- r/moviedeals – Just movies (excludes iOS, iPadOS, & Mac deals)
- Interested in another kind of filtered subreddit? Let me know and I’ll see what I can do!
7 new ways to follow MDM Deals (& improvements to existing)
One of what makes MDM Deals different from other sites is I don’t make you come to my site every day to get the best deals–instead, I publish deals nearly everywhere so that you can get deals coming to you, no matter where on the internet you call home. MDM Deals 2.3 is no exception and comes with new places to get deals!
- Apple News – The most elegant way to get deals. I’ve added channels for iPadOS Deals, iOS & iPadOS Deals, App Deals, Game Deals, and iOS & Mac Deals
- Pinterest – My fastest-growing community. I’ve added boards for iOS Deals, iPadOS Deals, Mac Deals, Game Deals, and App Deals
Brand new channels
Flipboard – The brilliantly designed digital magazine now supports MDM Deals, with magazine options for All Deals, iOS, iPad, Mac, Movie, Game, & App Deals
Google Hangouts* – The group chat by Google, now with a MDM Deals group chat channel for your convenience. Deals delivered once a day.
KakaoTalk* – One of the most popular messenger apps worldwide, now with a MDM Deals group to find the deals you want. Deals delivered once a day; notifications available.
Viber* – Good ole’ Viber, now with a MDM Deals group for getting deals once a day delivered to you. Set up notifications so you never miss another deal!
Kik* – Recently resuscitated from an untimely end, Kik is back and after tons of work, MDM Deals supports it. Deals are delivered once a day.
JioChat* – Popular in India, but useful around the world, now with a MDM Deals group where deals come in once a day.
Voxer* – Not just for voice messages, you can join this MDM Deals group to get deals coming to you once a day via text.
*Because there is no way to automate these channels, I publish to them manually. If more than 5 people use the channel, I’ll keep them–but if not, it’s not worth the time to manual post there.
- RSS subscribers rejoice! Feeds will look much better with the introduction of an invisible ASCII character instead of spaces. The result will be a nice visual break between title and content, whereas it was all smooshed together before
- The “Download on the App Store/iTunes” logos have much higher quality AND Mac apps now tell you if it’s on the Mac App Store. Looks way better if I do say so myself
One more thing…
Phew, that was a lot, but there’s one thing more! Since Apple ended the affiliate program, I’ve relied even more on readers like you to support MDM Deals and its continued development. Until now, though, the only way to do that was via a Patreon monthly pledge, but not everyone likes a monthly charges. I get it. That’s why I’m excited MDM Deals is now on Buy Me a Coffee!
This site is coffee-developed and coffee-fueled (in fact, I’ve got a mocha frappe with me right now). If I’ve saved you money or help you discover an app, would you buy me a coffee?
Thanks so much for following and for your support!
You must be logged in to post a comment.